We Can Help Put An End To Parental Alienation

When parents end a relationship, bitter feelings can linger. In an attempt to strike back at the other person, one parent may make a concerted effort to turn a young child against the other parent by berating the other parent, telling lies about the other parent, blocking access to the other parent or otherwise denigrating the other parent.

This can result in severe deterioration of a child's relationship with the targeted parent. As a result, a child may participate in denigrating the parent, display anger toward that parent or look for reasons to avoid spending time with that parent. In the 1980s, Dr. Richard A. Gardner, a forensic psychiatrist, identified these symptoms of a child who has been programmed against a parent as parental alienation syndrome (PAS).

Parental alienation does not always involve one parent attempting to alienate a child against the other parent. It may be an in-law, grandparent or some other family member who is acting improperly.

You Have Legal Recourse

Massachusetts laws prohibit parental alienation. Not only can it permanently harm a parent's relationship with a child, it is also psychologically damaging to the child. If you are in a high-conflict situation with your child's other parent and you suspect that he or she is engaging in actions that may be deemed parental alienation, it is important to take action immediately. If you are working with a family law attorney who is not responsive to your concerns, it is important to speak with one who will take steps to stop parental alienation.

At The Law Office of Rebecca E. Rogers, I represent parents who need to halt parental alienation, as well as parents who are falsely accused of using parental alienation tactics. I help my clients document examples of alienating activity and take legal measures to resolve the problem.

Massachusetts Probate and Family Court officials recognize the negative impacts of parental alienation. Because they are instructed to act in the best interests of the child, it may be possible to modify a parenting plan in order to address the negative impact of parental alienation.

We Can Answer Your Questions And Work To Resolve Your Issue

To meet with a lawyer who understands this problem and how to stop it, call 978-957-7300 or use the contact form on this website to schedule a free consultation. I work with clients in Middlesex and Essex counties and all surrounding counties from offices in Lynnfield and North Reading.